Sunday, July 24, 2011

Coburn's Comprimise

Senator Coburn from Oklahoma is as bona fide a fiscal conservative as they come. Some have gone as far to say that he was the tea party before the tea party came into existence. Now that he and the "gang of six" are trying to broker a debt limit deficit reduction compromise many conservatives are hailing him as being a RINO (republican in name only).
Reagan said of compromise "When I began entering into the give and take of legislative bargaining in Sacramento, a lot of the most radical conservatives who had supported me during the election didn't like it."Compromise" was a dirty word to them and they wouldn't face the fact that we couldn't get all of what we wanted today. They wanted all or nothing and they wanted it all at once. If you don't get it all, some said, don't take anything"."I'd learned while negotiating union contracts that you seldom got everything you asked for. And I agreed with FDR, who said in 1933: 'I have no expectations of making a hit every time I come to bat. What I seek is the highest possible batting average.'"If you got seventy-five or eighty percent of what you were asking for, I say, you take it and fight for the rest later, and that's what I told these radical conservatives who never got used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment